Sunday, February 20, 2011

Micky D's or Jacky B's: A guide to Fine Dining in San Diego

Four days a week I arrive at San Diego State University at about 5:15. I have 45 minutes before work and I want to grab something to eat. I'm not rich so my budget is around 2 dollars, 3 dollars when I'm doin' it big. I want to get the biggest bang for my buck so it becomes a dollar menu type of situation. Located next to SDSU, about 2 blocks from each other are Jack in the Box and McDonald's. So now I must decide who to give my valuable business. I grew up in Chicago where Jack in the Box never existed so it took me a while to defect from McDonald's.

The Food:
McDonald's has a decent dollar menu, although I swear the double cheeseburger used to have 2 pieces of cheese on it for the same price. I like getting a sundae with my cheeseburger so that is one way to really bring it home with 2 dollars and some change. But sadly, the McChicken sandwich ain't going to win any awards at the fast food Oscars (a.k.a. this blog). The fries are usually not hot which is another drawback of the house that Ronald McDonald built.

Jack in the Box, also fondly known as Jack in the Crack or Jack's Crack, has a decent dollar menu as well. I find their dollar chicken sandwich to be a bit better than that of McDonald's. The lettuce is less wilted and their are no weird chewy spots in the middle of their patties. The dollar menu burgers are different but not really that much better or worse than Micky D's. A niche that they have covered well is the 2 dollar burger. The Jumbo Jack with cheese is not bad. I'm pretty sure you can't get any burger with lettuce and cheese from McDonald's for 2 bucks. Jack makes OK fries, but they are at least hot, but that is more of restaurant to restaurant type of deal depending on how real the employees keep it.

The Service:
The employees at Jack's Crack do keep it pretty real. The server will sometimes ask me if I would like a free water with my meal, this is a nice departure from the typical fast food restaurant policy with water. most places (like McDonald's) make you beg for free water like a dog. The servers and cashiers at the Crack also seem to be a bit more friendly than those at McDonald's. Although there is that one cashier at McDonald's who calls me boss, which I like. At Jack's the cashier seems to be a bit more pleased to be taking my order, always smiling. This is not always the case at McDonald's. The way they respond to the customer often seems to be directly related to the kind of day they are having. And there is this one guy who works at the Golden Arches that I swear is giving me dirty looks. One time I sat in a part of the restaurant that he was starting to block off and he gave me and my girlfriend the dirty eyeball the whole time we were eating there. Skinny dude with the long dark hair and glasses with the McDonald's hat, I'm talking about you.

Based on my experience at both fine establishments I would say that the people who work at the SDSU Micky D's are Jerks and the folks who work at the SDSU Jack in the Box are pleasant enough. I'm not looking for the cashier to kiss my ass or anything, but I do think they should be nicer than the ones at the SDSU McDonald's.      

The Customers:
The people at both college area eateries are pretty terrible. The McDonald's is more of a public meeting place for people who are not cool enough for Starbucks, and Jack in the Box is more of a bum haven. At either place I usually get it to go.

Next Week look forward to the second installment of my special 8 part San Diego fine dining review -Subway or Quizno's, a Tale of two Mediocre Sandwich Shops.