Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Dead Zone on El Cajon

I live by the 70th and El Cajon Blvd. intersection and I want to know what the @#!$ is up with the real estate between  70th and 72nd on El Cajon Blvd. Every time a new restaurant opens up it closes down within 4 months. A few years ago the city fenced off a lot on the corner of 70th street and then proceeded to build nothing on the property. Around two or three years ago the bar, Shamrock's Shack, closed down. Two years ago an Italian restaurant opened up and then closed down after about 5 months. I was a big fan of their penne carbonara with peas. Last year a Mexican restaurant opened up and then closed down around four months later. I was not a big fan of their mashed potato tacos. Why is this strip of land so badly cursed?  I am dying to have a new spot in the neighborhood. I get so excited when a new spot opens and I get to put it into the rotation. There are only one or two decent restaurants in my area and I am in desperate need of a new place to break up the routine.

I remember like it was yesterday when that new Italian spot opened up. I made sure to get dinner from that place at least once a week. I wanted them to live so bad! It was funny too because they kind of hated me over there. The place had a nice decor and I could tell they wanted me to hangout so I could buy drinks and tip the wait staff, but I usually ordered my food to go. The lady at the register would always give me a really dirty look every time I picked up my order: pasta,  meatball sandwich, soup of the day, and a side of stink eye from the cranky ass hostess. I guess she had a right to be pissed though, since she was about to be out of a job. But I didn't feel bad for her because no matter what her situation was, she was still a bitch to me.

A couple of months ago an African market opened up across the street form the El Cajon dead zone. The owner must look out across the street and see nothing but failed businesses, empty husks of building, and then wonder to himself, what the !@$# was I thinking? He's got a lot of palm oil products and my favorite exotic soda, ginger beer. It is not beer in any way, just a really strong bottle of soda. I told him about the curse of the neighborhood and he told me that a bunch of people already told him about it and he wished he could break his lease. This freaking neigborhood has like 57 smoke shops, 15 liquor stores and like 3 places to get some food. What the F man? I can't eat bongs and lottery tickets for dinner, I need a new place to eat at!