Tuesday, April 19, 2011

It's not easy eating at Hodad's

Last weekend we were hungry for burgers and my girlfriend decided to take us to Hodad's in OB. At first I was pissed because we had to wait in line on Newport in the hot sun. But my anger was abated by the menu. A simple menu is always good because that means you won't accidentally order some weird thing that they don't make well like spaghetti at IHOP. We all got cheeseburgers and I got a double. But this was like no regular double like the ones they have at In-n-Out. Compared to Hodad's double cheese burger a double double is like a McDouble. No disrespect to the Jesus freaks at In-n-Out, I love their stuff, even with all the Christian psalms printed on all of their wrappers and cups. So the server brought out our food and my Burger was so dang big that I didn't really know what to do.

When I tried to eat it all I could do was bite about a quarter of the thing. If I tried to get any more of it my neck muscles would be too strained. Eventually I figured out how to to eat it by taking bites across the face of the burger. It was really good, but the experience was a bit too sloppy and ridiculous. I'm not crazy about putting my face into the food like it's an eating contest. And the burger was such a crazy drippy mess that my basket of fries underneath were subjected to a brutal amount of burger run-off. I still ate a few, but it was kind of gross. If those indie rock hippies would just put the fries in a separate basket, I think they would have those religious nuts at In-n-Out beat. If you go to Hodad's I'd recommend a good pair of snorkeling goggles so that your cheeseburger doesn't go half way up your nose every time you try and take a bite of it.