Tuesday, May 17, 2011

File Not Found

This is such an irritating problem. But I'm not sure which part of it I'm more annoyed with. Sure it is a pain when you lose your important file with the crucial information, but it is even more of a pain when somebody tells me about it. I will ask someone if they finished the project they were working on and the I have to listen to a whole drawn out woe-is-me story about computer imperfections, a lack of saving, and the classic tale of how the fish got away. We've all had our files deleted, and we all b.s. how much information that was lost.

It's always like "I just completed the most amazing academic work to have ever been done and wouldn't you know it, the file got deleted right as I was putting the finishing touches on it."

The person says they can redo it but it will only be a shell of an assignment when compared to the former glory of their original work. I think the real story is that they wrote two sentences, one of them got deleted and now its all aboard the crummy excuse train. And now instead of trying to do the work this industrious academic just wants to spread the word to anyone who will listen to the harrowing tale of an idiot who doesn't know how to save their work or even use a computer properly. Next time your file gets deleted, instead of climbing to the nearest rooftop and shouting your story, maybe you should just quiet down and spend the ten minutes that it will take to rewrite your material. And if you still want to talk about it later then call up your mom and tell her all about it so that she can know that her child is a moron.