Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Week Night Bar Review: The Wait is Great at The Lamplighter


The Lamplighter is a pretty good karaoke spot. The place gets crowded fast but there are usually empty tables by the stage. And the bartender is pretty good attaking drink orders fast. Not like Bar Pink where you stand at the bar for 30 minutes like a jerk waiting for the bartender to get to you.

The karaoke aspect of the Lamplighter is not bad at all. There is usually a long waiting list of names but the DJ will bump you ahead for a tip. I don't mind the wait though. I have a short list of songs that I am willing to perform, and I'm not that confident in my singing, so the wait is great. I get to put my name on that list and I'm in it baby! If I put my name down for a second song then I'm doin' it big. But the list is so long there is a chance my turn won't even come. Sometimes I have to sing both of my awesome songs, but most times all I get to do is one.

The best part is whenever someone asks me about doing karaoke that night I get to be be like "Oh yeah, I'm signed up for two songs bro." So the whole time I feel like I'm doing the thing that everybody's doing, I have a little bit of exciting pre-stage anxiety, and a strong motivation to drink PBR to get my stage confidence on.
By the end of the night some people do good up on stage and some do hilariously bad, like that time I did Deacon Blues by Steely Dan. I thought that since I remembered the chorus I was qualified to sing that song. WRONG. About 2 minutes into the song I realized that I didn't have the pipes for it. It was some rough stuff. Overall, I give the place two thumbs up