Thursday, March 24, 2011

Get out of my face with all your texting!

I was walking through a building on a college campus, and when I opened the door I scared the crap out of a guy who was about to walk into it as it opened. Later I was walking down a narrow ramp outside when a girl stopped in front of me causing me to have to ask her to move aside so I could get past. Later that day at another college campus, a young woman walked towards me diagonally and knocked into me as I walked off a footbridge.

I think you know what all these jerks had in common, they were texting. None of these invonveniences were a big deal, but they were annoying. We all saw the phone commercial that shows people obnoxiously ignoring those around them because they are typing on their phones. Everybody had a good laugh, but nobody picked up on the social message that was humorously conveyed by this advertisement. Sometimes you need to stop texting. Seriously, what is so important that it makes it OK to act like a piece of crap out in public?

As Michael Turko, the most influential agent of significant social change in San Diego, once said, "It ain't right!"