Monday, March 7, 2011

I've got a new word for you

Ontology. This is the way that something is learned. The word actually sounds more interesting than that, when I first heard it I thought it had some kind of theological significance. In grad school I had to write a paper in a rhetoric class. The prompt had something to do with argument and the ontological concerns of a text. I thought my vague idea of the word would get me through it and I didn't bother to look it up. It was an eight to ten page paper and I got a C on it because I royally screwed up the section on ontological belief. I also must have looked like a doofus when I presented the paper at the teacher's house with the rest of the class, which is something I was uncomfortable doing in the first place. I didn't really like the teacher, so the last place I wanted to go was her house.

So students, look up words you don't know in writing assignments. And teachers, don't ask students to attend the last class of the semester at your house, its creepy.

Look forward to tomorrow's exciting new blog entry about my next inane thought.