Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Shamrock's Shack Replaced by Hookah Bar, Great.

I was walking by the place that used to be Shamrock's Shack and I noticed that the building was being renovated. I asked one of the construction workers what the new place was going to be and he said it was going to be a hookah bar. A hookah bar? Why the hell do they need to build another hookah bar around here. El Cajon Blvd. needs more hookah bars like it needs more liquor stores and smoke shops. How about another regular bar instead of a lousy tobacco bar. When the shack shut down it left a hole in the bar line up. It used to be bar number three of the neighborhood bar crawl. You would skip the horrible Chico Club, start at Norm's, then Mad Dog's (which is now the Go Lounge), then Shamrock's, then the Boulevard.

Who is going to fill the place when it opens? All the people who are too subversive for Starbucks and too normal for the Treehouse Cafe with their beer cupcakes? I want to support local businesses in my neighborhood, but I can't come up with one good reason to go to a hookah bar. I'd rather go to that weird Treehouse cafe and get a pub cake.

Stay tuned for part 5 of the 8 part fine dining review: Treehouse Cafe, Pub Cakes or Pube Cakes?